VARTKES MAHDESSIAN TAKES MORE THAN 2/3 OF THE VOTE WINNING BY 68%

Gibrahayer e-magazine – Independent candidate Vartkes Mahdessian secured more than 2/3 of the Gibrahay vote, in last Sunday’s elections, collecting nearly 68% and was re-elected to the position of the Armenian MP in the Cyprus Parliament.  The remaining 32% went to his opponent Dr. Antranik Ashdjian – who according to Gibrosi Tsayn and Azad Tsayn – was supported by the Henchakian Cyprus Party, the Armenian-Cypriot Progressive Movement, the Hamazkayin club (unrelated to Hazmakayin proper), by a large portion of prominent members of the AGBU family, as well as the until lately dormant Miatsial Hamerashkhagan Djagad.       Vartkes Mahdessian’s professional, transparent and hard-working five years were supported by a cross-section of community members coming from all walks of life, who rewarded his accomplishments with one of the most successful results in the history of the elections of the Armenian Representative.       Vartkes Mahdessian’s candidacy was supported by the ARF Dashnaktsoutiun Cyprus Gomideh and affiliated organisations, the Armenian Relief Society (HOM) Cyprus “Sosse” Chapter, The Hamazkayin Cultural and Educational Association Cyprus “Oshagan” Chapter, and HMEM / AYMA, the Armenian Club of Larnaca and LHEM Limassol.

The community felt confident with a charismatic and hard-working MP, who had brought a new tempo and a new ethos to community politics. With every section of political, cultural, social and sport life in our community looking crisp, buzzing with life and walking tall, the cries from the opposing camp that all was dark in the Armenian community and that we were living in times of terror, did not echo well to a community whose image about itself was quite the opposite.
The smearing campaign and the desperate acts of defamation against Vartkes Mahdessian, his Election Committee as well as his supporters, proved to be the nail in the coffin for a campaign that never took off.
Despite serious provocations, the ARF Dashnaktsoutiun Gomideh showed restraint and used every opportunity to keep the tones down. ARF Dashnaktsoutiun Gomideh representative Hagop Kazandjian was firm in his comments. “We did not allow provocations to replace the issues and community concerns that were on the table. I would like to congratulate our supporters for showing maturity, staying calm and embracing our calls to vote for the candidate we proposed and wholeheartedly supported.”
Vartkes Mahdessian’s comments at the election victory fiesta that followed at HMEM / AYMA were similar in tone. Amid the cheering crowds, he thanked all organisations and personalities that supported him and said that the overwhelming victory places a heavy burden on his shoulders and assured that he would respond positively to the new mandate given to him by the electorate.
Finally, he called upon all members of the community to put aside the bitterness caused by the opposition during the pre-election period and move forward for the benefit and the well-being of our community.

Print Friendly